Saturday, October 6, 2012

"Nothing Gold Can Stay"

My sweet sister shared this poem on her blog, Presbydestrian (highly recommend you check it out!).  Since I'm the big sister, I didn't think she'd mind if, like a favorite sweater from her closet, I borrowed it from her (well, Rob Frost REALLY).
 
I am so blessed that she and I share a love of reading and marvel over the words of authors and poets.  We had some amazing writing teachers and wonderful parents that always emphasized that reading is a reward and privilege.  In our home, there was never a threat to make us read for bad behavior, but rather we heard, "No story at bedtime!" and took that prompting to change our behavior (usually!).
 
Without further ado, in honor of all the beautiful changing leaves, a poem by Robert Frost, Nothing Gold Can Stay:
 
Nature’s first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf’s a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Happy fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment