Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

I love Thanksgiving.  Currently, I'm enjoying the down-time between food prepwork and full-on cooking before all of the family arrives.  It's great to celebrate a day of reflecting on all of our blessings, big and small.  Today I'll share some of the items on my school thankfulness list.

Pinned Image

1. I'm thankful for my teaching team.  They are hard-working, gifted, passionate educators.  They are supportive and yet challenge me to grow and get better every day.

2. I'm thankful for my past teammates.  I've worked with some wonderful teachers who have all made me a better teacher.

3. I'm grateful for administrators I respect and trust.  I am aware that is the exception in education and I don't take it for granted.

4. I'm grateful that there are professional communities like the Ohio Writing Project.  I love the way my experiences with them have grown me as a teacher.  I am grateful to still be involved in the work they are doing to teach, support, and empower teachers.

5. I am thankful for my classroom.  I love the smell and the coziness and knowing it's my own space to create community that impacts kids.

6. I am thankful for books.  For the chance to share them with my students and to have discussions everyday about great literature and characters.

7. I am blessed by my department.  There are so many amazing ideas and resources housed in that group of dynamic women. 

8. I am grateful for days off that reenergize me for the days ahead!

9. I am thankful for moments with students that remind me why I became a teacher.  This past week we had our first poetry slam competition.  We had a student with autism who "hates writing" perform his original poem about Bengal cats and another sweet girl share publicly about the recent death of her father.  Neither won, but it was amazing to watch them confidently share with our team.

10. I am grateful that even on the hardest days I know I am still called to teaching.  Very few enjoy the blessing of not only knowing what job God created them to do, but actually get to do it in a place they love.


Thanks for letting me share some of the reflection this day brings.  Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment