Thursday, December 20, 2012

Gifts of Writing

Every year at the holidays my students create gifts of writing.  I've done it ever since student teaching and have even made sure to practice what I preach each year.  (Mom says it's one the highlights of Christmas when she recieves hers!  Aw, shucks, Mom...)

It's a fun way to encourage creative, authentic writing.  Plus it's always a great way to get to know my students when I see what they want to capture as they write to loved ones.

This year, for some reason the trend in my afternoon class became writing parodies to popular songs about ME!  They were all hilarious, some more creative, others more awkward.  Here's a sampling....

This one is the ending of "Sheets Style," of course to the tune of "Gangnam Style."  (I'm a sucker for a student calling me 'funny.')



This one is to the tune of "Black and Yellow."  The sweet introvert that gave me this tune does an awesome job of performing it. 

I'm partial to the line about Kathleen's laugh.  They cracked up when I imitated it one time.




This one is to "Party Rock" and realllly long.  (Four pages!)  But I love it!

 
I haven't been able to obtain the rights to "She's Funny and She Knows it."  That's right, it's to the tune of "Sexy and I Know It."  By the way, what is the correct way to respond to a fifth grader performing THAT parody?  Laugh uncomfortably?  I thought so. 
 
Anyway, my favorite lines in that ditty go, "She walks in the room, a confident teacher staring back at me" and "She's got knowledge in her head and she ain't afraid to teach it, teach it, teach it."  Classic.
 
I crack up at this pic taken at today's pizza party... Wishing you and your special friends a very happy holidays and a wonderful (restful) break! 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby. A little crazy...but you have to laught at this time of year, right?!

      Delete