Friday, December 14, 2012

Worn

I'm at a loss.

My normally cheery blogging seems superficial and insincere in the face of the events in Connecticut today.  I just keep thinking (and shuddering), "What would I do?"  We dutifully practice lock downs every year, but one can never be prepared.  What would I do?

This week has been a hard one in many ways, but today put so much of my grumbling in perspective.  And while we all struggle to process what happened today, I keep coming to two things that have brought any sense of hope.

One is this quote from Mr. Rogers, a man I greatly respect and admire for his work with talking to children about life. 

When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers--so many caring people in this world.

 
What a wise man with a wise message.  Tragedy is incomprehensible, but we need to keep moving forward, looking to "the helpers."  We need to live life with a sense of gratitude for each moment.

The other is a song by Tenth Avenue North called "Worn."  It summarizes my feelings perfectly and the reminder that this world is so broken but there is hope and healing in heaven. 

 
Praying for all touched by this tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment