Saturday, December 1, 2012

Nurturing Young Writers (and Hearts!)

Next week I am meeting with a sweet student in need of a little extra encouragement.  She loves writing and especially poetry, so we're going to have a one-on-one poetry/writing/I-want-to-build-into-you time.  So, today I'm prepping for it.

Here are my musings so far:

-Read SARK and Brian Andraeas (Story People) and other inspiring writers together and talk about what their work means

Pinned Image
 
Pinned Image
 
Pinned Image
Pinned Image
{All images copyrighted by SARK/Fireman}
 
-Write letters to ourselves about what we think we ROCK at
-Write poetry about what's on our hearts and how to channel anxiety we feel.  I may even share this SARK piece about money.  Even though it's not something she worries about, we can look at how SARK addresses a specific, legitimate concern and then finds ways to free herself from it.

Pinned Image
{copyrighted by SARK}
 
Has anyone done anything like this with a child in your life?  I'd love some advice or feedback.  I'll let you know how it goes!

**This post dedicated to Mrs. Wolford, my seventh grade writing teacher, who would always share little SARK quotes in books she had made special for me.  She was so encouraging to my insecure 7th-grade self.  Thanks, Mrs. Wolford!

No comments:

Post a Comment