Friday, April 5, 2013

Mood Music

This week we've been learning about mood in writing.  I introduced the concept with a tweaked version of this anchor chart.

Then we practiced finding the mood in our own texts and used this graphic organizer, a clever play on "Mood Rings," to add in text evidence.

The next day we watched this short animated video and talked about how music is often used in movies to convey mood.

"The Piano"

To practice, students have been given one of twenty passages to find accompanying music.  Here's my sample (text from Ray Bradbury's short story The Long Rain).

Where did I get that awesome somber music you may ask??  Freeplay Music is perfect for this assignment.  It's a database of free instrumental music that's searchable my genre, tempo, instrument, and feeling.  Perfection.

I can't wait to hear what my students share!

No comments:

Post a Comment