Thursday, July 19, 2012

What are You Reading?


This week I'm wrapping up my grammar class.  It's been fun, but I'm also excited to have a *tad* more free time on my hands (Did I mention I'm still taking three more classes this summer?!  Ha!).

This means I' ve been reading!  So far this week I've finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot, Moneyball by Michael Lewis, and The Willoughbys, by Lois Lowry. 

I loved all of them, for completely different reasons.  Henrietta is a great nonfiction narrative about the first living cells taken from a woman without her knowledge in the 1950s.  Skloot does a brilliant job of weaving together history, medicine, science, and human interest.  Moneyball kept this girl who knows little about baseball totally engaged.  I still haven't seen the movie, but I'm hoping to soon. 
And The Willoughbys.  Do yourself a favor and get this from the library soon.  I actually listened to the book on tape (still counts, right?), which I also highly recommend.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I love anything by Lois Lowry.  It's sort of a pseudo-Series of Unfortunate Events tale (with more likable characters).  It's charming and lovely and very quotable.  I need more people to quote it to in my life...so get on it, won't you!?


Now I'm onto Insurgent, by Veronica Roth.  Have you heard of her series Divergent?  It's supposedly the "new Hunger Games."  So far I'm not totally convinced, but it's a great distopian concept with some pretty decent writing.  I'll keep you posted.  Work friend told me this one is better than the first.


What have you been reading this summer?  Anything that's surprised you?

No comments:

Post a Comment