Thursday, August 2, 2012

New (to me) Nonfiction


In this week's PD we have discussed a few times the need for giving students more exposure and access to nonfiction.  Inspired, I set out to my fav Half Price Books.  Here's what I picked up:

1. Soul Surfer by Bethany Hamilton: about a girl who is in a traumatic shark attack but learns to overcome with the help of family and faith.

2. The Wright Brothers and Lewis & Clark both by George Sullivan from the "In Their Words" series.  Both great historical figures with connections to our Social Studies curriculum.

3. True Stories of D-Day by Henry Brook.  Maybe I was inspired by my history class from last week, but I also could think specifically of a few former students who would have eaten this book up and I'm sure there will be more just like them in the future.

4. Taylor Swift (Get the Scoop) by Ronny Bloom.  I picked this one up and put it back down a few times.  It seemed a little too trendy, but it was only $3 and I think Swift may have some legitimate staying power and she's certainly proven a good role model for young girls so far.  And she's a writer!

5. A bonus historical fiction book Titanic: Unsinkable by Gordan Korman.  I couldn't resist and had a particular student from this past year in mind.  It's always a popular topic and this may be a great entry into nonfiction for those who are uncertain of the genre as Korman weaves facts into his exciting narrative.

What are your favorite nonfiction reads for students?

No comments:

Post a Comment