Friday, July 18, 2014

I'd like to thank the Academy...

FOREVER ago, sweet Holly gave my blog quite the honor, the Liebster and Sunshine Awards.  

The Liebster is really just a way to get to know small bloggers.  Liebster, in German, means endearing, valued, lovely, etc. The Sunshine Award is similar to the Liebster Award in the sense that you get to know small bloggers, but bloggers are nominated if someone feels that your blog brings a little more happiness into the world and you positively inspire others. 



 


I am so touched because I really love reading Holly's blog, Finding My Everyday Happy.  In it, she writes with such honesty about living and teaching with OCD and Anxiety.  Holly is an incredible teacher who blesses our ESL kiddos (and me!) in big ways every day. 

Liebster Award and Sunshine Awards Rules:


1. Tell us 11 facts about yourself.

2. Answer the questions that the tagger has asked of you.

3. Create 12 questions for those you want to nominate

4. Choose bloggers give this award to and link them in your post. This one I have seen people do many different numbers. Some nominate 5 people. Others nominate 11. You can see what I did below!

5. Go to their blog and let them know they've been nominated.

6. You may not nominate the person who nominated you.

So FINALLY, here is my response to Holly's questions! 

Eleven facts about me:
1. I consider my most embarrasing moment throwing up on the bus in seventh grade. All down the aisle.
2. I love, love, love lists, organization, planners, etc. I doubt there is a single person who knows me well that would be surprised by this statement.
3. My New Year's resolution was to learn how to make macarons.  I have only attempted it once, with much guidance and little success.  But the study of macaron eating baking has been a ton of fun.
4. One of my favorite movies of all time is Jurassic Park.
5. When I was little I wanted to have a different job every day of the week: dolphin trainer, skydiver, ballerina, teacher, and mom.

6. I have been skydiving (after deciding the night before to go) and would love to do it again.
7.  I have been white water rafting, spelunking, rappelling, and have run two marathons, but I still consider myself a wuss when it comes to sports. I hate jump roping and dodgeball. I am always the last girl standing there with all the balls on her side who is afraid to throw them because the boys will catch it and she will be out.

8. I have both my undergrad degree and masters from Miami University.  Man, I love that place.
9. I am getting married on Valentine's Day.  It's always been one of my favorite days of the year, even when I was a single gal.
10. With the exception of my first few months of life, I have always lived in Ohio.  When I was born, my parents lived in Michigan.
11. My sister and cousins and I have a secret language.  You can ask about it, but you will probably think I'm real weird (as if you don't already) when I explain it.


Here are the questions Holly asked me to answer.

1. What is your favorite go-to meal? Chicken and broccoli.  Or Chipotle.  
2. If you had a day to yourself, how would you spend it?  Waking up to coffee and a good book, going for a run, getting lunch with a group of friends, working in my garden, and maybe read some more by the pool.  Or going shopping!  
3. If you could describe yourself in three words, what would they be? This one is all of a sudden really hard... let's go with quirky, positive, and organized.  
4. What is one goal you have for the next month? Get my classroom ready.  
5. Why did you start blogging? Honestly?  I wanted a free pencil sharpener from Classroom Friendly Supplies.  Ha ha!  Plus it helps me keep track of resources I have used and ideas.  And it's a great way to be a more reflective teacher.  
6. What is your favorite aspect about your chosen profession or something enjoy doing with your life? I love getting to be the first one to introduce students to a new idea, author, time period, etc.  It's so fun actually seeing those light bulbs go off and know I had a hand in it!  And I could hang out with 10-year-olds all day long.  They are my people.
7. If you could learn any language in the world, what would it be and why?  Hmm, maybe Spanish or Chinese because they seem so practical.  But really, I don't know when I would use them.  
8. If you won a dream vacation of your choice, where would you go?  Probably Australia and New Zealand.   
9. What are you reading/listening to right now? Do you have a favorite quote or lyric? I just started reading The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan.  Holly loaned it to me.  Her writing style is so fresh and memorable.  It's really been sticking with me.  
10. What is your best memory from the past week? Laughing with my fiance Brian.  
11. Is there anything that you dream of doing in your life? A must on your "life to do list"? I want to write a children's book.  
12. What are you grateful for today? Colleagues who inspire me. (I'm teaching a class this week and next for the Ohio Writing Project and there are some awesome teachers from all over the area in it!)

So here are my nominees!

My nominees for the Sunshine award are:
1. Liz at Life in Projects.  I love seeing what she's up to... it's always something new.
2. Lisa at Making Home Homemade.  She is a dear friend and talented designer.

My nominees for the Liebster award are:
1. Kathleen (my sister) at Presbydestrian: Presbyterianism on the Ground.  Her writing is just so dang fun to read.  Where'd she get all that talent?!
2. Janelle at Simply Love.  Her photography is amazing.  And I want to go to every one of the parties she has thrown.  It's been fun to reconnect with her (we were in the same undergrad education cohort) via blogging.
3. Chelsea at Endeavors of Innovative Teaching.  She is brand-spanking new at blogging and I am so excited to read more!



So those of you nominated should (if you would like to--please feel no obligation!!):
1) Link back to my blog
2) answer the questions below
3) nominate others for the award(s) you were nominated
4) write 12 questions that each has to answer.

1. What does your name mean?  What does it mean to you?  
2. What was the last thing you bought?  
3. What is your favorite summertime (or anytime) snack?  
4. What new skill do you wish you could learn?  
5. Why did you start blogging? (stole this one from Holly, but I really love it!)  
6. What is one of your favorite pieces of jewelry?  Why?  
7. What was your dream job when you were 10?  
8. What is your favorite hair or beauty product?  
9. What is your favorite font?  
10. What physical feature do you like best about yourself?  
11. What was your favorite book when you were a kid?  
12. What are you grateful for today? (Another one stolen from Holly)

Have fun, ladies!  Can't wait to read your responses!

1 comment:

  1. I’ve desired to post about something similar to this on one of my blogs and this has given me an idea. Special needs Tutor Wellesley Cool Mat.

    ReplyDelete